Wicked celebrates 10 years in the West End
WICKED, the West End musical phenomenon that tells the incredible untold story of the Witches of Oz, celebrated an extraordinary 10 years at London’s Apollo Victoria Theatre on Tuesday 27 September.
Over the past decade, Wicked has attained many accolades and achieved numerous milestones to become “one of the most popular West End musicals ever” London Evening Standard:
- Already the 8 longest running show currently playing in the West End.
- On Saturday 12 November 2016, Wicked will become the 18 longest running show in West End theatre history, surpassing the run of the original production of Miss Saigon at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
- One of only three Broadway transfers in West End theatre history to ever run 10 years or more (the two others being Disney’s The Lion King and the 1997 revival of Chicago).
- Already seen by nearly 8 million people in London alone, the production has employed over 1600 people, as well as multiple contractors and companies, since its London premiere.
- The first show in West End history to gross over £1,000,000 in a single week (week-ending Saturday 1 January 2011). The production has gone on to break this record on many subsequent occasions, most recently during week-ending Saturday 2 January 2016.
- Winner of 2 Olivier Audience Awards, 9 WhatsOnStage Awards (including ‘Best New Musical’ and ‘Best West End Show’), a Visit London Gold Award, an Evening Standard Theatre Award and over 100 awards worldwide.
- In celebration of Wicked’s 10 birthday, theatre owner ATG has invested in the complete refurbishment of the Apollo Victoria Theatre auditorium and Front of House areas. All seats and carpets have been replaced with designs replicated from the original design of the Grade II* listed venue that first opened its doors, as the New Victoria Cinema, in 1930.
Executive Producer (UK) Michael McCabe said: “On behalf of Marc Platt, David Stone, Universal Stage Productions and all of the producers, I would like to offer our heartfelt thanks to all of our casts, musicians and production staff who have worked so tirelessly, and with such diligence and dedication, in helping to achieve this incredible milestone. It continues to be an absolute privilege to work with so many exceptionally talented individuals and companies and we couldn’t be more proud of, and grateful to, every single one of you. And to our audiences, who have so passionately supported and championed Wicked over the past decade, we offer our deepest gratitude.”
Wicked currently stars Rachel Tucker (Elphaba), Suzie Mathers (Glinda), Oliver Savile (Fiyero), Anita Dobson (Madame Morrible), Mark Curry (The Wizard), Martin Ball (Doctor Dillamond), Katie Rowley Jones (Nessarose), Idriss Kargbo (Boq), Alice Fearn (Standby for Elphaba) and Carina Gillespie (Standby for Glinda).
Wicked is produced by Marc Platt, Universal Stage Productions, The Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone.
The Executive Producer (UK) is Michael McCabe.